Everywhere in North America, many people do not feel the need to attend a religious service. Everywhere we hear:
"No, I don't go to Church, but I am very spiritual."
"No, I don't believe in God, but I am a spiritual person."
Philip Gulley, a Quaker pastor and public speaker from Indiana is trying to figure out the meaning in "but I am spiritual". He is preparing a book entitles "Qualities of the Spiritually Alive", and has noticed these eight themes :
As Introduction to the topic, he writes "Gratefulness is the identifier of deep spirituality"
1. A sense of the rhythm of life. Remember your "peak" experiences. Such memories will be a tonic when rough is the path. Build a storehouse of them.
2. The things we notice---or don't notice. espacially our response to the jokes....some may not ba wholesome
3.The recognition of the fluidity of life .
"Sometimes life itself changes ... can we adjust? Moses was an Israelite doomed baby, then son of Pharaoh's daughter, then a quiet shepherd, then a leader of Israel."
4. People who are spiritually alive are careful of the way they speak about God. As with a dear friend, or loving parent, respect is always in order.
S. The spiritually alive understand how things should fit together.
"Integrity is wholeness." For instance, if you are a member of AA, sell your Branfman shares. Otherwise, there is a major contradiction
6. Know who you are.
Sometimes we have to say, "No thanks" " "No" can be as holy as a "yes'
In these rapidly changing times, what should we adapt to, and what should we not adapt to.
8. Reconciliation and Forgiveness
Our relationship with each other affects our relationship with God.
We must forgive without being asked. For example, sometimes because
1) some people will never ask for forgiveness, and
2)sometimes a person never realizes he caused you pain.
QUESTIONS AND SHARING
Additional notes (by the webmaster) : http://www.philipgulley.com/
Please respect the work of all those who generously prepare text and services for our Church.
Do not copy without their authorization.